Can Scorpions Climb Walls?
Can Scorpions Climb Into Our Beds?
Yes – at least the Arizona Bark Scorpion can. It’s the only one of the 40+ known species of scorpions in Arizona that can climb a vertical surface. There are a few things that you can do to make it less likely that you’ll be sleeping with bark scorpions:
- Obviously – if you have a scorpion problem, you should have a regular, on-going pest control service.
- I really believe in a Home Seal or Scorpion Sealing by Goldshot Exterminating. If it’s done right – and we do it right – I think it’s the best value in pest control and will make a definite difference as far as lowering the number of scorpions inside of your home goes. This is how to prevent scorpions from getting into your bed.
- Night light. If you can position lighting so that it keeps the floors lit it may help reduce the number of scorpions that move around close to your bed at night. They like it dark – don’t give it to them.
- Shake out your bedding real good before getting into bed.
- Make sure your blankets and sheets don’t touch the walls or floors. Scorpions will use them as a bridge to get to your bed.
- You can put the legs of your bed (or a crib) in glass jars. As long as they are clean, scorpions cannot climb them.
- If you have a serious scorpion problem or are allergic to scorpion or bee venom, you can prevent scorpions from falling off of the ceiling into your bed. You do this by taking a piece of foam board that’s bigger than your bed, attach double sided tape to the outer edges of one side and suspend it a few inches from the ceiling directly above the bed. If a scorpion falls onto it they will get stuck and not be able to fall onto the bed.
So, why do scorpions like beds? They probably wouldn’t if they knew we were going to be there, but they don’t. They’re just looking for a place to hide. Something tight and dark – like under the covers or pillows on our beds. Of course they’ll sting you if you lay down on them as a self defense mechanism, but they really don’t want any more to do with you than you do with them. Follow the tips above and you’ll both sleep better.